Mauricio O. Muñiz-Luciano
Mauricio O. Muñiz-Luciano is a member in the Litigation Department. He joined O’Neill Borges in 2005. Mauricio’s practice includes litigation of issues related to antitrust, intellectual property, distribution and franchising law, environmental and general commercial law in both state and federal courts. Mauricio also has significant experience in the area of creditor’s rights. His practice includes litigation on behalf of institutional lenders in collection and foreclosure cases, as well as the defense of lender liability and related issues.
Mauricio counsels clients in the areas of antitrust and intellectual property law. In the area of antitrust law, Mauricio has represented clients in class actions, Multi District litigation, and other antitrust litigations before the federal and state courts, as well as investigations before the state agency.
In the intellectual property area, he advises clients regarding the registration, protection and enforcement of trademarks and service marks in the United States and Puerto Rico. He has also successfully litigated intellectual property cases before the federal and state courts, as well as the United States International Trade Commission.
In the area of securities litigation, Mauricio has represented clients before the state and federal courts, including class actions, derivative suits, and arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), among others.
Recent representations include, among others:
- Ingeniador, LLC v. Interwoven, __ F.Supp.2d __, 2012 WL 1712492 (D.P.R.), granting motion to dismiss patent infringement claims for failure to state claim;
- In re Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation, Civil No. 08-md-1960 (DRD) (D.P.R), antitrust class action, Multi-District Litigation.
- Westernbank Puerto Rico v. Kachkar et al., Case No. 07-1606 (USDC-PR), representing Westernbank Puerto Rico in its collection, foreclosure, and Racketeer, Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) claims of over $142 Million against various international entities and individuals (Opinion and Order, among others, at 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 78726);
- Southwire Company v. Ramallo Bros. Printing, Inc. et al., Civil No. 03-1100 (USDC-PR), representing Southwire Company in an environmental litigation under CERCLA and RCRA (2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 92926, among others);
- Alvarez-Espina v. Total Petroleum Puerto Rico Corp., 2008 U.S. Dist LEXIS 25762 (USDC-PR), successful representation which resulted in summary judgment under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act;
- Alina and A Tours, Inc. v. Royal Caribbean Ltd., et al., 2006 U.S. Dist LEXIS 34948 (USDC-PR), successful representation of Royal Caribbean Ltd. and Celebrity Cruises, Inc. in a non-exclusive sales representative agreement.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Management, 1999
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, JD, 2002
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Trade Regulation, Concentration in Antitrust and Competition Policy and Professional Certificate in Law & Business, 2005
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- District of Columbia